Tuesday 15 April 2008

Quitting Smoking

I apparently fell off the face of the planet for a few weeks... I can place blame on 2 different things... I quit smoking and bought an Xbox 360. I used to smoke a cigarette and think about what I wanted to blog about... now I sit in front of my Xbox and not think about anything except how I going to get past that Cyclops to obtain the Earth Relic to complete the next segment of my quest.

My first day of not smoking was April 1. As a professional quitter, I used my normal method. My last quit lasted almost 2 years before it was foiled by a cigar on a camping trip.

My biggest hurdle for quiting smoking is the chemical depression the lack of nicotine creates. So in preparation for quitting, I started anti-depressants about a month ago.

On the night before Quit Day, I smoke my last cigarette. Clear away all the evidence that I ever smoked and head to bed. In the morning, I wake up extra early and put on a nicotine patch. I try to go back to sleep so the patch has kicked in before I'm forced to enter my morning routine without a cigarette. I don't wear a patch to sleep as it causes wicked dreams. Everyday I delay putting the patch on for as long as I can. I wore my final patch on Friday, April 4.

I am now 15 days without a cigarette, 11 days without nicotine and a couple of months without caffeine. I wonder what I'm going to give up next...

5 comments:

newduck said...

Not that this helps, but I read somewhere that cigarettes are more addictive than heroin. Of course, I probably picked that up on the internet somewhere between websites about aliens and government conspiracies. But seriously, good luck, and good for you.

Jackie S. Quire said...

Wow Shelagh! Congrats on the 15-day mark. They say the first week is the worst, is that true?

And now on a mini-personal note (because you are the only person I know currently in the "quitting stage")... my boyfriend has said/decided he's going to quit smoking as of April 24 (Yes, random date).

Do you have any advice for someone who desperately wants to help a quitter? I've never done this before (and he's smoked for... 10+ years... and has only quit once before, but just for 2 months).

Thanks so much, and congrats again!

-Ann said...

Good on you! I've never really smoked but I've relatives who have given up and it seems like one of the hardest things ever. I'm still in awe of your caffiene boycott. That's my only vice.

Shelagh said...

Hey Jackie... this is my 4th quit... and I've considered each one a success only cause the reason I re-started had nothing to do with the quitting techique.
Honestly my biggest hurdle has always been the depression. I've been smoking more on than off for about 15 years, that has to alter your overall brain chemistry. Smoking starts to seem very harmless after you have been crying or angry for a few weeks.

On the short term, smoking fills time, gives you something to do with your hands and mouth and is habit triggered. The Xbox has really helped... it takes care of the time and the hands. Popcicles, Mr. Freezies, grapes and gum help the oral fixation. Strangely I used to find a cup of coffee would make a craving go away, I sorta screwed myself there this time.

For a supporter of a quitter... just don't talk about it unless he bring it up. Keep him busy with something that he does not relate to smoking. When he just wants to go to sleep to make the misery end... let him go. Pour a glass of water for him, the faster he can flush the nicotine out of his system, the better. Each time he doesn't succeed, it provides more information on what his limits are... why did he re-start smoking last time? Oh yeah, when he is quiet, it's cause he is REALLY cranky and doesn't want to take it out on you.

I hope you both all the success with this quit. Quitting TOTALLY SUCKS but it is worth it.

DJSassafrass said...

Ah, I've got to do that quitting thing one of these days...coffee, nicotine. I just love them both so much!
I do like Xbox 360 though as well...