Wednesday 27 January 2010

Adventures in Motherhood - Sleep

Okay, I am admitting that we have screwed up.... Connor does not go down for the night until 3-4am and sleeps until mid to late afternoon, with a feeding every few hours. He will fall asleep on my lap or in my arms but the second his back touches the crib mattress, he wakes up and starts wailing. In order to get any sleep, he has been coming to bed with us and nursed to sleep. While this does give us a chance to sleep, it is a poor quality sleep, fearing that we may roll on him or some other parental nightmare. My hips and lower back are so sore from being in a locked position all night.

Our biggest issue is that Connor will go to sleep but seems to wake himself up. He falls asleep with his feet in the air but as they gently relax into sleep, they drop down and wake him up. I've almost conquered this one by rolling up a blanket and placing it under his legs when I first put him down, if I have progressed to the point that he will actually lay down.

So we have our work cut out for us... we need to get him back into his own bed, change his bedtime back to a more suitable time and get him to fall asleep on his own.... should be simple enough...ha!

7 comments:

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Maybe try swaddling him just like when they are tiny!

Shelagh said...

OMG that is a great idea... he loved being swaddled... I'll try that tonight and see how it goes.

pebblito said...

Place a heating pad in his crib to warm the sheet and blankets. That way he doesn't notice the temperature change. Who wants to go from a nice warm cozy cuddle into a cold bed? If the sawddling doesn't work, try building a little "nest" in his crib (rolled up blankets) that you snug in around him once he's laying in his nice pre heated little bed.
It was the ONLY way we got Kyle into his own bed.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

I hope it worked! When I am breastfeeding Cavan before he goes to sleep for the night I wrap him in a big fleece blanket. Then he is all toasty warm when I lay him down.

Shelagh said...

Well, that was a nice change... Kara you are my demi-goddess!!

The swaddling was almost a complete success. Our only problem was that when he woke for his feedings, he snuggled in to his swaddle and fell back to sleep before he was full. I was so excited about him being asleep that I didn't wake him to finish his feed so he was awake and hungry an hour later.

BUT... he spent his entire night in his own bed!!

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Yeeeehhaawwwww!!!

Unknown said...

I have been blogging within this same topic for merely 2 years now, - what I have often believed is that it needs time to work to be able to overcome with this thing. But when I read your post, I was genuinely amazed that there are a lot of ways to go about it and have and even much better benefits.
Please visit http://clippingpathsource.com/ to know more about clipping path service.