Saturday 10 January 2009

Adventures in Fertility - The Continuing Story

Where were we last.... I think it was the dye test. Soon as the dye test was completed, I was free to start taking Clomid... simultaneously my life entered a period of upheaval.... new job, new house, new town... We made a decision that we could hold off on the Clomid until things settled down a little bit.

So in October I took my first round. Clomid was not covered by my medical plan so the one month cost me around $40 CDN. It contained 5 pills to be taken from day 3 of my cycle to day 7. The only noted side-effects for me was a feeling of heaviness in my uterus and a general awareness of my inner bits... I'm guessing they were in hibernation and it felt odd for them to start functioning again.

October didn't work so I took another round in November. December came along and so did my cycle. For a combination of reasons, I decided not to take a round in December. I knew the festive season would be accompanied by all sorts of things that are not good for an adult body much less a new person.

I remember thinking I may be ovulating sometime in December but I ignored it until my friend had her period and I realized that this was her second cycle since my last one.

So on December 29, I purchased a test and it was positive. Now I know that you aren't supposed to talk about it until the second trimester but in the spirit of the adventure in fertility, I feel it is appropriate. If I miscarry that, unfortunately is part of the adventure.

**** Anyone who knows me personally/professionally, I haven't told my Boss yet so keep it on the Down low****

So I am now 7 weeks pregnant today. I had my first prenatal appointment on Monday January 5. They gave me a due date of August 29. Because I'm over 36, I am considered a high risk in addition to previous miscarriages and fertility drugs. I have been referred to an OB who specializes in the baby. I have a referral to a Dietitian (Cory is very excited about that).

The changes in me... I have no morning sickness. Occasionally when I'm really really really hungry I feel a little queasy but nothing worthy of a soda cracker. I have increased from my modest B cup to a C cup. I'm tired... oooooh so very tired. Mentally, every time I go to the bathroom, I expect to find spotting. Every twinge I have in my lower belly I think is an ectopic pregnancy.

I'm happy and absolutely TERRIFIED and completely impatient. It doesn't seem real at this point and I want to move forward to make it seem real. So that's my latest adventure in Fertility... or should this be an Adventure in Pregnancy now?

4 comments:

Kevbot4000 said...

Sweet merciful crap - that's awesome Shelagh!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

pebblito said...

*grin*
So, really, how many little baby things has your mother already picked up?
*hug* Don't forget your folic acid and keep up your calcium intake. Lots of water. I didn't get morning sickness until 7 weeks 3 days. And then I was horribly sick with Jess for the next 14 weeks. Not that I'm wishing it on you, just sayin'. B6 can help prevent it.
I'm tickled to death and crossing all available body parts for you! You know where to find me if you need anything.

CCbutterfly82 said...

Congrats to you and corey both !!!!!!!!!!!!! this is wonderful news!!

DJSassafrass said...

Congratulations!!!