Monday 26 January 2009

Adventures in Pregnancy - 9 Weeks, 2 days

I have a new symptom... Pregnancy Nose. I can smell a flea fart in the wind from 100 feet. I've always had a fantastic sense of smell but this is ridiculous. I can smell the exhaust of the car 20 metres in front of us when we are driving down the road.

The biggest issue has been the stench monster I call my dog, Theo. Before the nose developed, he was angling for a bath but this weekend, he started to sting my eyes. Cory was out visiting friends when I finally broke down and dragged him upstairs for a bath.

Now I have a few obstacles to overcome to complete this task... I have a dog that weighs too much for me to lift. I have a cast iron claw foot tub that he isn't graceful enough to jump into or out of. I have a dog who LOVES water when it is in a puddle, stream, lake or swamp but when water is contained in a bathtub something changes the molecular structure to make it a mortal enemy to all things furry.

So, being ingenious, I dragged my old army trunk into the bathroom and shoved it up to the bathtub. This gave a solid platform, almost level with the top of the tub. This resolves the lack of grace. I put on his leash, lifted his front feet onto the army trunk, held the leash tight and crawled into the tub (no water yet, I wasn't certain about my success and wanted to be eco-friendly).

Once in this position, Theo and I sat, staring at each other, unmoving for 30 minutes. Occasionally, I would call out... come here puppy, be a good puppy... all I get in response was "blink, blink". After 30 minutes, I declared defeat... told Theo "wait til your father gets home" and stomped out of the room.

Cory got home about 30 minutes later... a few moments of strong arming and grunting, Theo was in the tub covered in suds. Scrubbed from top to bottom with yummy smelling puppy shampoo... 4 towels to dry off... 2 hours to dry completely... 7lbs of loose hair removed....

Theo walked by me a few minutes ago... he still STINKS!!!!!

1 comment:

jen said...

I have just caught up on your blog! Congratulations!! This is so exciting for you!

To comment on your previous posts:

I have to say I never felt anything before 8 weeks-ish either, I also wondered if I was really prego or if it was just a test-F-up. Also don't worry about symptoms..everyone is different. I just went through my pregnancy with 3 other woman. My one friend who is my neighbour up north even delivered the very next day then I did! Anyways we all had completely different experiences, I had total nausea and barfed at the most inappropriate times, but my friend didn't suffer from that at all. I'm very happy for you that you are barf free! :)

Congratulations again, it really is the most awesome experience... having the baby that is...all the aches and pains are crap lol.