Saturday 5 January 2008

Writers Strike - Old is now New Again!

Well, this writer's strike has gone on long enough. Only thing left new on television is the news (how depressing) and The Apprentice - Celebrity Edition (*SOB*). I have found myself looking forward to the reruns of "Hogans knows best" (It's all new to me). I thank god for the BBC for providing me with programing that I have never seen, check out the show "Extras", very entertaining in a dry, OMG-I-Can't-Believe-They-Said-That way.

The highlight of my writers strike has been my trip down memory lane with a series that ran in 1990-91. "Twin Peaks", for those that were not yet self-aware in 1990, is the story about a very small town just 3 miles south of the Canadian border in Washington State. The first episode starts with the discovery of a body of a local girl named Laura Palmer. Through two seasons we follow the story of who killed Laura Palmer in what on the surface seems like an idealistic little town.

Honestly, Twin Peaks is not a "mainstream" television series. David Lynch and Mark Frost take us on a twisty turny adventure into a small town full of big secrets.

In 1990, "Who killed Laura Palmer" was on everyone's lips (even more than, "save the cheerleader, save the world" in 2007). If you find yourself watching "Hogans know best", take a look around for seasons 1 & 2 of Twin Peaks and find out the answer to the question.... I'm not giving any hints.

2 comments:

DJSassafrass said...

Randomly found your blog--I actually lived in North Bend, WA where they filmed Twin Peaks. My friends whom are fans of the show got a big kick out of it.
Oh, and agreed...end writer's strike....END!

Shelagh said...

I'm starting season two this evening... Agent Cooper just got shot at the end of season one.

I think North Bend is absolutely beautiful!!