Wednesday 27 February 2008

Welcome to Blog Share - Posted by Anonymous

My mother drinks a giant bottle of cheap wine every night, by herself, but no one will call her an alcoholic to her face. I did once, years ago, and all it did was drive her drinking underground and drive me away from the family.

For years, I have seethed in silence, resenting the fact that she is an alcoholic and is not getting help. I resented my father for not helping her. I resented them both for the harm they caused to our family because of their inability to recognize a problem and do something about it.

I spent many expensive hours slumped in a chair in a therapist's office, outlining the things that had happened, how I felt about them, and the effect they had on me. My coping mechanism was to draw bright boundaries in our relationship. To build a wall to protect myself from their dysfunction. To move far enough away to ensure minimal daily involvement. But none of it ever made me feel any better.

Then a funny thing happened in the last year. I came to accept my parents for who they are. I'd always carried in my head the aphorism “You can't change other people, you can only change how you react to them.” But I don't think I ever understood how to put it into practice. I got the first part, but I thought my changed reaction – essentially just waiting for them to change, instead of overtly trying to change them – was the answer.

I have now realized that maybe a truer and more helpful statement is “You can't change other people, you can only change how you react to them, what you think about them, and how you feel about them.” Maybe a wiser person would understand all of that was implied in the word “react,” but I am stubborn and literal-minded. For me, “react” meant just what I said and did in response to what my parents said and did. The feeling and thoughts were a separate process and still involved my wanting them to change.

I am the sort of person who holds onto principles like a shipwreck victim clinging to the debris of a sunken boat. Like those principles are the only things keeping me alive, the only flimsy bit of support keeping my head above water. Key among my principles was that my mother was Wrong for being an alcoholic and needed to do something to fix it.

What I learned this year was that if I let go of the debris, if I let myself sink beneath the surface of the water, I'd both learn I could breathe and would discover a whole hidden universe. Finally letting go has allowed me to appreciate the good things about my parents. Their kindness. Their generosity. Their unconditional albeit imperfect love of each other and their children.

Holiday gatherings are no longer as excruciating as a trip to the DMV. Interacting with my parents is no longer as soul crushing as a telemarketing job. The simple act of accepting them as they are, unreseveredly, flaws and all, just involved changing my mind and I cannot believe how that has changed my life.

I thought the only way I could ever feel this way about my parents was if they ultimately changed of their own volition. In recognizing that they might never change and realizing that it didn't matter to me, I finally achieved what I've wanted for two decades: peace of mind, the ability to truly love my parents for who they are, and the pure gift of enjoying the time I am able to spend with them.

This post has been living in my mind for the last several months, but as family members read my blog, I never felt comfortable with the idea of writing it. Thank you, And You Know What Elsefor inventing Blog Share day to allow people to express themselves anonymously.

18 comments:

laurie said...

wow. what a powerful post. and what a crucial lesson to learn. good for you.

i have trouble with that particular lesson. i have to re-learn it with every person i meet.

excellent post.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post, beautifully written.

Our quest to change people is so strong. I try not to do it, to just accept but sometimes it is really hard.

I rather wish my parents would learn to do it in respect of me! I have always felt I am trying to live up to the person they always hoped I would be, rather than the one I actually am.

Jess said...

I am really glad that you were able to deal with the situation by adjusting your own perspective. It is so frustrating to know that other people need to change and try to get them to do so and ultimately just wind up banging your head against the wall. Good for you for figuring out a way to move forward.

Little Brr said...

Being the child of an alcoholic parent, your post touched my heart.

I find it very difficult to accept who she is and even harder to let go. It's as if I feel I need to save her from herself and I know that I can't. I still hold a grudge and I struggle daily to let it go.

Your post gives me hope and faith that maybe one day, I can be free from all of it. Thank you for making me feel like I'm not alone.

Sauntering Soul said...

Beautiful post.

I was married to an alcoholic in the past and his father was an alcoholic. It can be so destructive in so many ways. I'm glad you've been able to accept things for what they are.

I've been learning this lesson with my dad recently (he's not an alcoholic we've had other issues). Now that I'm close to 40 years old, I finally realized that I'm not perfect and he's never tried to change me. I knew I should accept him and stop expecting him to change. It's made a world of difference in our relationship with one another.

lizgwiz said...

Beautiful post. Such a wonderful lesson for us all to learn.

Alice said...

wow. i'm really impressed, because I don't know that i could have done the same thing.

Elise said...

This is so well-written and yes, powerful. If you think you aren't "wise" you probably need to re-think. That was a whole post full of wisdom, there.

Impressive that you were able to understand and then put into practice the whole acceptance thing. I am definitely still working on that.

Maddie said...

I've gone through something similar with my family...I really appreciate you sharing your experience.

Also, this blog share is AWESOME. I'm a little sad I didn't participate. Will be keeping an eye out for the next one.

Tess said...

Great post. One of my favorite sayings is "If you want to change the way you feel about someone, change the way you treat them". So helpful for me.

Abby said...

Beautifully written.

I think the most difficult and most productive thing I realized over the last few years is that my mother will never love me the way I want her to. As hard as that was to accept, it certainly made it easier to let her love me the way she can. I can't believe how much better our relationship is as a result.

alyndabear said...

This is fantastic - and I think you are completely right. Acceptance isn't easy, but sometimes we have to accept the things we aren't responsible for.

Great post!

Anonymous said...

Your post is refreshing for me and gives me a small glimpse of hope.

A couple of years ago I did some awful things (I'm bipolar, have since been properly diagnosed and treated, and while I take full responsibility for my actions I also know I only behaved the way I did because I was sick) and in the course of a few weeks lost a few very very close (like chosen family) friends. Even two years later it hurts like it just happened yesterday.

They have yet to reach the point you are at (and may never do so). I keep hoping they will, but I also have to remind myself that just as they can't change me or wait for me to change, I can't change them or wait for them to change.

I appreciate your new-found acceptance of the people you love.

Noelle said...

That's a powerful story. I'm lucky enough to not be able to have a family problem like that, but I do have one with a friend. I wish I could handle it like you did.

don't call me MA'AM said...

Yay for you! And don't beat yourself up for not realizing this sooner. Being stubborn and literal didn't prevent you from getting there sooner... you just had to go through the process. And you're there, and I'm so happy for you. Celebrate this step, because that's important for you, too.

Kim said...

It is such a difficult thing to accept people as they are. I do it fairly well with new acquaintances and with friends. With my family, I struggle, especially with my mother, and sometimes with my husband. I do fairly well with my children, but I think it's because it is something I have been aware of, worked hard on, since the birth of my first child.

Good for you.

Most Prepossessing said...

I have just started to realize, at 30, that my parents are individuals, not just my parents. It is pretty amazing.

Akkire said...

i second this revelation. it happened to me too...and my relationship with my parents finally grew and changed and I saw THEM grow and change and respond to me differently. It has been freeing. now if only I could get my brothers to do the same thing...

kudos to you.