Thursday 5 February 2009

Adventures in Pregnancy - 10 Weeks, 5 days

What a week!! And it's not over yet... 2 am and I was "too hungry" to sleep so I thought I'd blog over my sunflower and flax seed toast and glass of milk.

Well Monday started out with my blood work appointment and prenatal appointment. The appointments were earlier than my normal work day so it meant getting up that extra little bit earlier. My biggest stress of the day was I knew they would be looking for an urine sample for my pre-natal appointment and I have historically left the cup empty. So I spent my valuable breakfast/waking time stocking up on liquid.

My blood work was the prenatal screening, my thyroid testing and some screening for abnormalities/birth defects. This translated into 12 vials of blood and a request for 2 urine samples (panic set in when I realized this meant I needed 3 samples in total and I didn't need to go). I am a good little blood giver. No problems at all generally, I watch the needle, I clot immediately, I pop out of the chair like noting happened.... until this time. By the 6th vial, I was feeling that cold sweaty light headedness that comes just before fainting. I couldn't believe it. By the end of the 12th vial, I got served a glass of orange juice and stayed for a bit of a visit. On a side note, I found out later that one of those vials was to check my blood type... if they had asked, I could have told them and saved me a vial.

I tried to give them a urine sample but alas I was only 4 glasses of water into the day and apparently that wasn't enough. A quick stop at the canteen in the hospital for some cranberry juice and we headed to our prenatal appointment.

At my appointment, I got weighed (gained 3 lbs), my blood pressure taken (118/78 as usual) and a thwarted attempt to check my urine for baddies... protein and such. The doctor came in with a medical student (fun an audience) and asked if it was ok for her to join us (does anyone ever say no?) My uterus was measuring 9.5 cms which is indicating a single baby as versus multiples. (Sorry Cory). Then she used the Doppler to find the baby's heart beat.

Okay, prior to this moment, I had a good level of denial on the go... I had no morning sickness and I could explain away every symptom... mind you I needed to pull cancerous tumors out to explain a few but it was a shadow of a doubt. I cannot explain away a heartbeat. It sounds like nothing but a heartbeat. OMG, I'm having a baby!!! Must remember to breathe!!!

So needless to say, that was pretty freakin cool.

From there, we drove home, I snagged a 60 minute (GLORIOUS) nap and headed to work for a 12-9 shift. I spent the shift tired and pale. I blamed the extensive blood letting. At 9 PM, I ran (well walked weakly) from the building and was in bed by 10 after a few quick snacks.

At 2 am, I woke up with wild indigestion. I came downstairs and took a big glass of Eno and waited for my belly to settle a bit before hunkering down to bed. By 2:30 I was in the bathroom, throwing my guts up. Morning sickness never came into my mind... food poisoning was my first thought and I was certain I named the cause. It was 11 am before I had any relief at all. By 2 PM, Cory was feeling pretty green and food poisoning was ruled out... we had the flu.

I slept from 11 am Tuesday to 11 am Wednesday almost non-stop. Waking long enough to pull blankets on or off as needed.

Wednesday afternoon, I receive a call from the prenatal clinic. Some of my blood work came back and they had some concerns. They wanted to know if I had been taking my synthyroid. I am currently taking the largest dose of synthyroid (150) you can take in a single pill. And I've been a very very good pill taker lately. My TSH levels were (OMG the dog just farted and I think my nose is going to fail off....) 19 which is most commonly found in someone who has a completely non functional thyroid and is taking no medication. (Oh thank god, the stench is moving off...)

So one of my prenatal doctors called the endocrinologist in Fredericton and asked advice. Apparently the iron in the prenatal vitamin can screw with synthyroid (or the thyroid in general) causing it to become less effective. His recommendation was to double my dose for the next 2 weeks and then, with blood work, move me to 200 until we balance me again.

So I've been hypothyroid for most of the last 10 weeks, I'm supposed to be tired but no where near this tired. I'm always excited when they up my synthyroid and this is a big freakin hop. I also tend to be less able to fight colds and flues when I have low thyroid so maybe I won't have a repeat of this bad boy. Very exciting week all told...

My toast is long done, the milk was very tasty and now I think I'm going to go to bed! Night All

2 comments:

On the Road to a Family of Four said...

I just laughed and almost choked on my plum reading your post. I'm so glad I came across it. I'm 10w5d today and found you through google. Thsnks for the laughs. I hope all is well wit you!

Shelagh said...

Hi Ashley... congratulations on the pregnancy... today is my "due date" and I'm feeling a touch impatient with this waiting...

10 weeks feels like a lifetime and a blink ago... time will fly and then slow to a grinding halt just as you approach the end...