Sunday 15 February 2009

Adventures in Pregnancy - 12 Weeks, 1 day

Today I had my first major pregnancy concession. Sure I gave up a few beverages on New Years Eve... I haven't even snuck a cigarette.... I gave up sandwich meats... no big deal. But today, this one hurt the most... I am a little traumatized to be honest.

It was 5 degrees Celsius today. The sun was shining, the snow was melting, spring was in the air... we decided to declare it summer and have a BBQ. A quick trip to the grocery store and we were ready to drop a few steaks on the Barbie! Then it happened!!

Cory told me that because I'm pregnant I had to have my steak cooked well done...

As a rare steak eater this was a culinary disaster. The only thing I could equate the feeling would be if I opened the BBQ to view my perfectly cooked rare steak and a bird flew over head and pooped on it.

Cory tried his best and my well done steak wasn't the shoe leather I anticipated... it had SOME juice left in 'er. It was just WRONG!

Tomorrow is our appointment with the Dietitian. I'm sure my life will be completely altered after Cory spends an hour with her.

5 comments:

Iain said...

Seems to be quite a bit of debate out there.. and I suspect it's way over blown. Yes, there is a small chance of getting some form of food poisoning or some sort of brain wasting disease from eating meat that is not cooked all the way through. The risk is no different than any other time you ate a steak. You are WAY more likely to get food poisoning from the local take-out. General rules, clean kitchen, clean hands.. and if you are worried about it, you could always eat peanuts.. oh wait, maybe not...

jen said...

NO WAY WOMAN! Eat your steak rare! I did my whole pregnancy. Eating steak rare is fine because your killing off the bacteria on the outside and there is little chance there is anything going on in inside unless it's been sitting out for days.
At this point, short of smoking, doing drugs or alcohol your fine... happy mind, happy body! Worrying about every little thing is worse for the baby then having a good steak.

Shelagh said...

Oh Jen... I'm so jealous... but I don't think I can win this argument with Cory. He has done WAY too much reading... I'm surprise I haven't been fitted with a feeding tube and placed in a plastic bubble... well it's not that bad... yet

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

I eat my steak medium, even when I was pregnant. Never hurt my boys. Congrats on the non-smoking. :)

pebblito said...

For me it was being careful about my seafood. Where it came from...how much... It was brutal.
It's more important to make sure the things that normally need to be well cooked like pork, chicken and ground beef are well done than a steak, although I might not eat it rare, I don't think it needs to be completely cooked to death.