Thursday 26 February 2009

Adventures in Pregnancy - 13 weeks, 5 days

For the past 16 years, Cory and I have purchased a 2L carton of milk once every 2 weeks (ish). We would reach into the very back of the fridge at the grocery store and find the carton with the longest expiry date, generally the date of the next grocery shop. The carton would sit in the fridge, occasionally used for a coffee or a bowl of cereal. As the new grocery date would roll closer, the milk would become "suspect". We would sniff carefully, sometimes comparing thoughts/sniffs before committing to a pour. If the milk was even questionable, we became "sketched" out and refuse any further consumption. We generally had to pour the rest of the milk out before the next grocery shop.

But that has all changed...

I am drinking 2L's of milk a day. It was not a conscious decision. I just can't get enough of it. We ran out of milk mid-day and I obsessed until Cory ran to the gas station (the corner store doesn't carry the brand of milk I like) to full fill my desires.

Milk in New Brunswick is just shy of $4 for a 2 litre carton of milk. My milk addiction costs is equal to my what my old smoking addiction cost per day. At least this one is WAY better for me...

6 comments:

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

Milk is 3.99 up here. Can't believe our prices are on par with yours! I remember the milk craving. I couldn't get enough of it.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

I have a crazy milk craving too! And I usually hate milk. I drink it straight from the carton in the fridge. Pregnancy is so odd!

DJSassafrass said...

yeah-there are way worse things to be addicted to! As I always say "hey-at least it's not crack!"

pebblito said...

Ah, yes. Calcium and protein. Biggest bang for your buck. Get used to the cravings. They only get more intense and interesting as time rolls on. Any aversions yet?

Shelagh said...

I have an aversion to sweets. I wasn't a huge fan of banana's before but now I have NO use for them. The biggest aversion is the sugary treats, particularly hard candys. YUCK!!!

jen said...

I have the milk cravings even now while breastfeeding... except I pay like $7.99 for a 2L carton lol.