Thursday 21 May 2009

Adventures in Pregnancy - 25 weeks 5 days

In the past few months, I've often thought back to my Health classes in high school and what was covered about pregnancy in those classes. I remember drawing a picture of a uterus and fallopian tubes and coloring them in with my snazzy colored pencils. I remember a public health nurse rolling a condom on a broomstick. I am pretty sure we covered the medical aspects of how an egg is fertilized, but we never actually talked about what really happens after that egg implants. I'm am certain that if pregnancy was covered with a bit more details, less teens would allow that to happen to them.

Noone ever told me that I could develop skin tags. Now this hasn't been horrific... two tiny skin tags the size of a freckle but it was something I didn't know happened during pregnancy.

I knew that I couldn't take medications other than Tylenol during pregnancy but I generally have a kick ass immune system so this wasn't a great concern. Noone told me that my immune system would dial back during pregnancy to protect the baby. I have gotten EVERYTHING going this year. I've had chest colds, head colds, stomach flu, intestinal flu, just the regular old every day flu...

This week was the topper for me... (TMI about to happen). I have had diarrhea for 4 days. Generally, I would have taken some Imodium on the first day and this would have been a distant memory. Unfortunately, Imodium and pregnancy are a no no. Yesterday, I ended up in the emergency room for dehydration as a result of the untreated diarrhea. 4 hours and IV fluids later, I was set free with instructions to drink, drink, drink... and to check in with the prenatal clinic in the morning.

So this afternoon, I have an appt with the prenatal clinic. They will probably do a non stress test. I honestly just want the root cause of the dehydration resolved.

I have my monthly check up on Monday and my glucose challenge to check for gestational diabetes.

93 days until I start Mat Leave!!!

1 comment:

DJSassafrass said...

OH Shelagh! I am so sorry about the ER trip!!! I know they say all this stuff will be a faint memory once you hold that kiddo...but puh-leez, it still sucks to go through. I've sworn off kids because at the unmarried (gettin' hitched in october) age of 31--I have heard EVERY horror story from every friend.
I don't think I'd forget hemmeroids people, but thanks for trying to make me feel better!