Tuesday 26 May 2009

Adventures in Pregnancy - 26 weeks, 3 days

The tired monster has come back but in a different form.  In the beginning, there just weren't enough hours in the day to dedicate to sleep.  Now... it almost feels like there are too many until moments after the alarm clock goes off.  The nights are LONG.  I go to bed so tired, I can't even read my book but I am sleeping so lightly.  I feel like I'm awake all night.  I am still master of my bladder so I'm not up and down all night (even if I should be).  Stay out of my path when I get up though.

I had a prenatal appointment on Monday.  These are becoming tiresome themselves and I'm only going once a month at this point.  I soon move to the once every 2 weeks.  At the end, it is once a week.

I gained 6 more lbs.  This is my biggest gain in a month and it wasn't anywhere near what I thought it was going to be.  It puts me at 27 lbs over 26 weeks.  I'm trending to end up with a 40 lb gain by the end of it.

My blood pressure was 120/70.... I should be a poster child for blood pressure.

I was not master of my bladder at the appointment and could not produce an urine sample.  This seems to shock the nurse every time.  Apparently she doesn't have pee-cup shyness.

I completed my glucose challenge on Monday as well.  They had me drink a bottle of sugary goo... looked and tasted like orange pop, even had carbonation.  (I was appalled that the little glass bottle was not recycle able.)  They sent me away for a hour and then drew some blood.  My pre-sugary goo blood sugar level was 5.1 (fasting).  

The fellow who drew the blood when I got back didn't tell me my results of the glucose.  He had much bigger problems.  He was the first person to have difficulties finding a vein on me.... EVER!!  I don't hide my veins, but he was determined to get blood from a little vein when the bigg'un that everyone else uses was pulsating right beside it.  He actually dug around until I said "ow" and he moved to the other arm.  I will be avoiding him in the future.

All and all, this second trimester stuff is pretty calm and quiet.  Not too much to report.  I declared my last day of work as August 22 and I've set the expectation that I will be taking the whole year.  We'll see how that goes once the time and money starts to fly.

No comments: