Thursday 9 April 2009

Adventures in Pregnancy - 19 weeks, 4 days

Ultrasound Day!!

Unlike my Ultrasound at 12 weeks, this one required a full bladder. One hour prior to my appointment, I was instructed to drink one liter of water in a 10 minute span. I like drinking water when I am thirsty but once the thirst is quenched... water loses its appeal... FAST. I still managed to choke it back in 9 minutes. By the time we got to the hospital, I needed to pee!

So, we got to our appointment and promptly waited... did I mention I needed to Pee?? While I did my pee pee dance, I read some wall signs. For some reason this hospital does not allow dad's to come in while the actual measurements are being taken but after the tech is done, Dad's can come in and have a quick overview. The hospital also does not allow video cameras.... BOO!

There was one sign that said they will not discuss gender but directly underneath that was a letter dated April 8, 2008 that says that they will now reveal gender provided that determining gender does not lengthen the time of the appointment. Local rumor on this decision was that all their ultrasound patients were requesting to go to the next available hospital that would reveal gender. Guess it was a business decision... got to love capitalism.

So, I finally got to go in and have my full bladder pressed on repeatedly. I asked why this ultrasound needed a full bladder while the last one didn't... He told me that the 12 week ultrasound was for the doctor to see the baby... he needed to see the cervix and placenta, that needs the bladder to be full to push it towards the front. That makes sense... So he took his pictures and eventually said that Cory could come in and he would tell us the gender. YAY!

All the time that he was taking his pictures, the baby laid still.... soon as Cory walked into the room and spoke, the baby started to bounce! "Daddy's Here!!"

The tech said that he had a hard time confirming the gender as the baby was on its back but then he showed us the umbilical cord and just below that was a... protuberance... like a penis. Pretty sure it's a boy! He gave himself a margin of error of 20% as the baby was laying on his back. but it pretty much falls in line with what everyone was guessing.

Now we have to come up with a boys name that falls under the following criteria according to Cory...

  1. Cannot rhyme with a dirty word or a word that could become dirty
  2. Cannot result in initials that makes a bad word.
  3. Will not result in the child being beaten up for having it as their name.
  4. Cannot be common yet cannot be so obscure that they are picked on for having it.

He has rejected Kieran, Declan and Slayter for one of the many reasons above. I don't think I understand the rules...

******************************************

PS... I have an update on the vaginal speculum story. Cory's aunt asked her doctor and came back with an answer. Apparently the size of the speculum is determined by your physical size. The doctor revealed that she had a patient who was in excess of 500 lbs and she required an XL speculum... (HOW BIG DO THEY COME??)

2 comments:

Kevbot4000 said...

If Becky and I ever have a boy, we're going with Logan Christopher as a name. Other possible suggestions: Marshall, Dylan, Tyson,

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

Cool! Did they let you have a picture? We snapped a picture with the cell phone. And as for a name? My favorites are Hunter, Gabriel, Mitchell and Joshua. Joe was almost a Hunter.