Sunday 19 April 2009

Adventures in Pregnancy - 21 weeks 1 day

I have never been a person who remembers dreams. Pregnancy seems to have changed that for me... last night I dreamed that my teeth were rotting out of my head. I could even feel the tooth fragments in my mouth when I woke up. Horrifying!! In my dream, I went to the dentist who seemed unconcerned about my situation. Even more horrifying!!

With the fresh memory, I did a little research on the possible meaning of this nightmare... apparently dreaming that your teeth are rotting and falling out is one of the most common nightmares.

As a common nightmare, it has a ton of possible meanings...
  1. Feeling insecure about your physical appearance and how others perceive you.
  2. Feeling fear of being embarrassed (seems the same as #1)
  3. Feeling powerless... teeth are used to tear and chew... without teeth, you lose your primal weapon.
  4. Biblically it means that you are putting more faith in the word of man instead of the word of God.
  5. Greek culture says it is an indication that a family member is sick or dying.
  6. Chinese culture says it is a sign that you are telling lies.

And my favorite.

Loosing your teeth is a sign of money coming. This is root of the tooth fairy fable.

I'm sure that I am feeling insecure about my appearance... I weigh more than I have ever weighed in my life. I love my pregnant belly. It's smooth, all one color (no dark line, no stretch marks) but I check every day for those nasty stretch marks that I will ruin my perfectly smooth and uniform belly.

I've quickly discovered that being pregnant is all about being powerless. My list of "Don't" is longer than my "Do's" list. I eat, not out of hunger, but out of responsibility. I need others to complete little tasks for fear of injury. I found trimming my toe nails an almost impossible task... next time, I won't be able to do it myself. The list goes on....

I'm not a religious person so I always put more faith in the word of man over the word of God.

I don't think anyone in the family is sick or dying... but my family does have a history of exceptional secret keeping...

I tend to be honest but I will keep my personal opinions to myself if I determine they would be unnecessarily hurtful... that means I need to tell "white lies" from time to time to spare feelings.

Money coming... well I haven't done my taxes yet... it could go either way on that front. Maybe the dream is an indication that I will be lucky in the Revenue Canada Lottery. This is the one I'm hoping for...

3 comments:

jen said...

My stretch marks didn't show until 2 weeks before birth. I thought I had it made, now it looks like I have been attacked by a bear. It was worth it though.

I had some crazy ass dreams while I was pregnant, I'm kind of glad that's over now, they were pretty freaky.

Shelagh said...

Wow... attacked by a bear...

Jackie S. Quire said...

I have that dream constantly! No fun and kind of terrifying eh?
Yet to see that money though...