Saturday 1 December 2007

It's Snowing

It's snowing out...

I am a strange breed of nova scotian. I love when it snows. I love the way the sound dampens when it snows and the world looks fresh and clean. I miss the blizzards of my youth when the world stops and the only noise is the sound of a snow plow on the streets. After the snow is done coming down, the world becomes a magical place. The sky is clear and the world seems at rest. My favorite time to go out and play, take pictures and just generally enjoy the pause.

In 1994 when we were in Alberta, one of the most magical moments was wandering through the snow covered streets in Lake Louise with the snow packed under our feet in the middle of the night. The snow was so high on either side of the walk way that you couldn't see over it, it was like walking through a tunnel of sparkly crystal. The sky was so clear that you could see millions of stars above. The world was quiet and seemed completely at peace, like nothing evil could exist in such a place. It was like we were the only people in the world.

It has been so long since the world has stopped to take a breath like that.... todays flurries have made me yearn for the days of yesteryear *sigh* Tuesday is calling for rain so all evidence will be whisked away again.

1 comment:

Kevbot4000 said...

I too love the snow. When I was a teenager, enduring the torments of home, shoveling snow was my quiet, frozen oasis from the biter storms raging inside the house. It gave me the time to silence my thoughts through repetitive, constructive motion and create usable paths through which one could safely pass, ponder or exist.