Saturday 15 December 2007

Olfactory Memories

Ahhhh... I smelled my grandmother the other day... Channel No. 5.

It always catches me off-guard when I have a scent memory. Nothing brings the past into the present like a smell.

Recently they have changed the cleaner that they use in the washrooms at work, it is the same stuff I used during my very short career in Housekeeping in Jasper National Park. Soon as I walked into the bathroom, it was as if I was standing in the forests of Jasper, looking out at the glacier lake.

The hallway of my apartment building smelled like the Chipman's mens dorm at Acadia University the other day... it's a combo of metabolized alcohol, stale cigarette smoke and something else... all in all a horrible smell but representational of an enjoyable time of my life when I was surrounded by friends.

A leather jacket and polo cologne puts me right back into high school.

Stedson cologne reminds me of my first "serious" boyfriend.

There are so many....

What about you?

2 comments:

Kevbot4000 said...

I used to wear Polo cologne in high school - you're probably just smelling the remnants of that ... practically bathed in the stuff. The only olfactory memories I get are when I smell cabbage I think of driving through Maine ... that's right, the entire state of Maine smells like Cabbage. Drove through through there 4 times, this is fact. There's more, but they are just dark and dreary.

pebblito said...

Chanel, but 19, not 5. Mom used to wear it before she went out.
I can no longer smell Poison without also smelling stale cigarettes and draft. You know why.
Pert shampoo. Something a very old boyfriend alsways washed his hair in.
Lavendar and chamomile will forever be associated with Jess, thanks to the lotion we have faithfully put on her every night since we brought her home from the hospital. The list is unending. My nose is my link to the past.