Wednesday 26 December 2007

Ponderings

Today, while watching Much Musics top 50 videos of the 1980's, I pondered whatever happened to Gowan. For those who are thinking who is Gowan... tsk tsk tsk.

Gowan was a wicked awesome singer from the 80's... he sang songs like "Criminal Mind" and "Strange Animal".

So I googled him... Here's what he has been up to in his own words...


THE LIFE AND TIMES OF LAWRENCE GOWAN (the unauthorized auto-biography)

They needed to use forceps to pull my rather large head from my poor mother’s womb. (This however had little effect as my head has continued to grow daily none the less.)...

Soon thereafter we left Scotland for the tropic of Canada.. At age 7, I wanted to join the Beatles but they weren't hiring so I had to do it without their help.

At 19, I earned an ARCT in classical piano performance from the Royal Conservatory of Toronto.

The band Rhinegold occupied my next 5 years. After the inevitable ugly break-up, I went solo using but one name,"Gowan". I recorded some multi-platinum and gold records for CBS, and cultivated one of the first mullets on Muchmusic.(Canada’s MTV) Big tours, Juno awards and rampant egos were sure to follow...and they did.

In the 90's new touring opportunities emerged. Playing solo, recording a French disc, compiling a Greatest Hits collection, a UN tour that allowed me to perform through Israel, Egypt, as well as war-torn Bosnia and touring England with The Stranglers made life very unpredictable and enjoyable. Also playing an original piece with the BBC Orchestra at Althrop for the opening of Princess Diana's memorial highlighted that period. ...and then came STYX.

In 1999 I joined this legendary bunch of fine Americans and have toured Europe, Japan and North America extensively for the past four and a half years. We've played the Superbowl twice and we met Regis...once.

This has been the year of the Carrot (all praise and honour be upon the holy root vegetable)... And the Cyclorama of a life in music progresses and unfolds as it should. We are among the highest grossing acts in the USA...(he added boastfully) and we play A Criminal Mind which I consider a signature piece.(he whispered in a tone laced with false modesty)

Cheers to all who have endured this riveting tale , which I dearly hope is

TO BE CONTINUED......

L Gowan

No comments: