Sunday 1 March 2009

Adventures in Pregnancy - 14 weeks, 1 day

I'm looking for some help.

I freaked out a bit about finances when I realized that I have only 10 pay cheques left until the poverty of Maternity Leave starts. My mother told me that to make me feel better I should make a list of the MUST HAVES and WOULD LIKE TO HAVE. From there I could start picking away at the MUST HAVES and hopefully the WOULD LIKE TO HAVES will come along.

I have a problem though... I have no idea what the bare essentials should be. I am the youngest in my family and only one cousin had off-spring before me. (prior to the recent family population explosion). My interactions with babies has been extremely limited. I've changed maybe 5 diapers in my life. I've read books and researched online. But basically what I am saying is that I'M SCREWED!!!

What do I really need to be prepared? What isn't important? What is super nice to have but really just a frill? I'd love some input!! HELP!!

4 comments:

MaryMac said...

Must have:

recieving blankets..and alot for those "spit ups",

diapers (believe it or not, I used cotton diapers..yes, I even cleaned them..huge money saver)

similac or breast pump..a have to

Baby clothes detergent - can't use the regular stuff

baby oil, baby lotion, baby soap, baby brush, baby comb

baby bottles

soother (if you want your child to have one)

A wonderful baby sitter .. like me :)

jen said...

Ok here is the best advise ever:

Wait for the baby shower!(kara and tina once told me that the baby showers will provide...and boy did they ever!)

I think it's best for you to find your own groove and in that sense wait to buy things on a need basis (wait for the baby to come along). Don't worry I was in your place overwhelmed and worried about cash only a few months ago. Here is what I find and it in no way means it's the way you should do things:

I wash Ezri's clothing in normal detergent. Although the baby stuff does smell nice.

The breast pump I decided I didn't need because I was never going to be too far away. But if you do need one to go back to work ect, I hear they are something you should spend money on. By not getting a pump or using formula, you also don't need bottles.

The baby shampoo/body wash I feel is something to spend money on, I like Aveeno.

Swings are wicked, however I do fine without one. Vibrating chairs..also awesome, less expensive.

Really, best not to worry too much, things will fall into place. Right now enjoy being pregnant, pamper yourself and get lots of sleep.

pebblito said...

Have a baby shower early to see what you get. If family are planning to chip in to buy you a "big" item, ask them to let you know so you can plan around it.
After that, call me. I was dirt poor when Kyle came into my life. I know all about "making do."

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Baby showers rock!! Don't feel guilty giving friends a request list of what you want.

Anything that you don't get and feel you need, try and get it second hand. You can find nearly brand new stuff at a fraction of the cost.

Hunter hated his baby swing, but loved a bouncy seat. He also loved his exersaucer- but a cheap one for $40 from Walmart does the trick.

Name brands are not worth the cost!! Also see what you can borrow from friends. Having a baby does not need to break the bank!