Sunday 15 March 2009

Adventures in Pregnany - 16 weeks, 1 day (and other stuff)

Man do my feet hurt!

Our Saturday tradition is to participate in the Super Saturday Puppy Walk with a few friends and their dogs. We meet at one of the entrances into the New Brunswick Trail (former railway tracks but now a beautifully groomed hiking, ski-doo trail) and burn the snot out of our dogs. The weather was beautiful... sunny with little wind and temperatures just above freezing. Generally we walk in for about 30-40 minutes and then head back out. Makes for a nice hour long walk. The distance is usually determined by the snow quality... are we walking on the snow or in the snow. Yesterday we were walking on the snow...

Losing track of time, we finally turned around at the one hour mark. At the one hour mark, my breakfast ran out of steam, my socks were chafing the bottom of my feet and my lower back was requesting a sit down... by the time we got out, my blood sugar was mad at me, my feet were unfortunately still on speaking terms with me and my back had decided to give me the silent treatment until I was somewhere it could really drive home how angry it was.

This morning, my Achilles tendons are tight and the bottom of my feet are raw. My back has accepted my apologies and I made a pact that I shall always have an apple in my pocket for walks in the woods.

When I sat down to write about this past week, I thought absolutely nothing of interest happened... good ol' pregnancy brain. But it was actually a bit eventful.

Last Sunday morning, Cory noticed Theo doing something odd... his forehead started to spasm and his jaw chomped open and closed rapidly... then the big splash of saliva hit the floor. When Cory described it I realized that I had seen something similar earlier in the weekend. The Internet described this as a seizure.

My initial reaction was maybe lead poisoning. Before I became pregnant, I was stripping the painted wood floor upstairs. We became concerned that there might be lead paint present and the job was put on hold. Theo likes to lick floors... seemed like a logical line of thinking. So off to the vet he went...

His Xray revealed that he was gonna need to poop really soon but no sign of lead. His blood work was clear and healthy. He was officially diagnosed with Epilepsy. Due to the mild nature of it, we will not be treating (treatment is worse than the illness). If he is adversely impacted by seizures in the future, we will look at treating his seizures with phenobarbital. It's hard on his liver and kidneys so we would like to avoid this.

On the pregnancy front, other than discovering the fact that I am not as "fit" as I like to pretend I am it's been a pretty good week. I've had some more of that fantastic round ligament pain. Can't say I'm loving that but it isn't as bad as the first time.

We had our dietitian meeting... a complete waste of our time. We were introduced to the Canada Food Guide (AGAIN). We were given a list of what were vegetables. Serious Nutrition 101 stuff. Did you know an Apple was a fruit?!?! What concerned me the most was that some of the woman there actually looked like this was the first time they had ever heard of this....

We did discover that I was running a little deficient on the numbers of servings of grain products I was ingesting in one day and I was killing the dairy requirements. Milk anyone?

I also had my final maternal serum testing blood work on Friday. So my next prenatal appointment (March 30) should have all the results from the serum testings and the Down's testing. I hope for the best... this pregnancy has been a dream so far... I keep waiting for the shoe to drop... My luck I'll end up with a 70+ hour labor and a doctor who feels that nature should take its course.

Wow that was a babble....

No comments: