Tuesday 24 March 2009

Adventures in Pregnancy - 17 weeks 3 days

I am as graceful as a dump truck lately. Yesterday I fell. Actually I did very little falling and a whole lot of hitting... I have never fallen so fast in all my life.

I was walking to the car and hit a piece of ice, before I even realized I was slipping, I was down. From the points of damage, I have a nice deep bruise forming below my left knee cap and above my right knee cap. I apparently grabbed the car on the way down and almost pulled my left shoulder out of my socket and the laptop I was carrying jammed into my left ribs. I think my heels hit my bum cause that's sore too.

I couldn't completely identify how I fell so I called the prenatal clinic just to touch base with how hard to too hard to fall. I didn't hit my belly but I went down HARD. They asked me to come in for a non-stress test. At 17 weeks, this means they check for a heart beat.

We got the heart beat almost immediately. At 140 beats per minute, the Nurse is calling for a boy.... 14 more days til that is confirmed. The doctor did a brief examination. Everything looks OK but as the doctor said at 17 weeks if the pregnancy was damaged, there is nothing that they can do. After 24 weeks, the story changes as the baby is viable at that point.

So I spent the evening wallowing in my aches and pains, paranoid about every little cramp or twinge. Expecting to find spotting every time I went to the bathroom... rough night.

I am going to be so much more careful. The physical pain of the fall is far out shadowed by the fear of damaging the baby. If I'm this clumsy at 17 weeks, I can't wait to see the gracefulness of me at 38 weeks...

2 comments:

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Glad you are okay!!

And yes, you will get even more off balance as you go along. So be careful, or wrap yourself in bubble wrap. :)

Shelagh said...

I was thinking one of those balls you put a hamster in might be in order... it would keep me clean too.