Tuesday 24 March 2009

Adventures is Rural Living

Since moving to Woodstock, I have had to educate myself in some of the local verbiage and culture. Here are a few things I have never heard prior to moving to Carlton County...

  • Bumble - Definition - To drive around back roads in an attempt to get lost. Can be used as a verb or a noun. We went on a bumble or we are bumbling.
  • Sliding - Definition - same as tobogganing (I would have used the general term sledding)
  • Sledding - Definition - when out using a snow machine such as a ski-doo (I would have used the term snowmobiling)
  • Shit Shine - This is an adjective to describe a good time. The party was a shit shine good time.
  • Potato Break - This is a week of off of school for student to assist with the local potato harvest.

I know there are more but I'm blanking out. I also get great enjoyment out of reading the classified in the local paper. I generally have no idea what the article for sale is but it makes me giggle.

For example today there was a post to sell a... Cannon type seed duster rock dinger. I was following it until we hit the rock dinger... whatever it is it sounds like a fun Saturday afternoon.

No comments: